lunedì 23 gennaio 2012

Daniel Dunkelmann the german metalhead

(I just setted my profile in norwegian. I need to learn this language, it's beautiful!)
Currently one of the main characters from 'Remembering the Yellow Sky', Daniel is a character i started to draw during first year of art school, right after having neglected Matteo Arancini. I can't say exactly where i took inspiration for Daniel's look. I just wanted to show a character that loves to listen a certain kind of music and loves to wear certain clothes. So i can say he is inspired to several metalheads around the world, lately blacksters (though Daniel is not an extreme one, and look doesn't say everything. Olav is more blackster than Daniel, and when he's outside the ring he dress almost like John Cena).
Daniel haircolour is black. This is an involuntary suggestion by my mom from the past, when she could not remember very well Matteo's haircolour. I've though a character with blue eyes and dark hair could be cool (in fact Daniel is my only character with blue eyes and black hair), but this also fit with his musical taste, because many metalheads (blacktsers) dye their hair in black. Daniel's hair colour is natural. Most of his relatives have black hair. When I drew Daniel for first time, i didn't listen black metal yet. I was more into a group in particular, the Scorpions. In fact i drew Daniel dressed like a '70s guy, and it was ridicolous. Even more because he acted like those sweet guys from mangas and anime (just to name some, Yu Matsura, Hideaki Kurashige) and he had always a gloomy expression on his face, because i though it was cool. Naturally, my classmates liked Daniel. But they liked every character that were shown as 'the cool one', 'the beautiful prince', the dark and handsome' etc... and before to join on Deviant Art, I pushed Daniel in this direction. He was 'the dark and handsome' even in the old plot 'Mitiche Gemelle Spaziali' (i talked about it in this post http://nordlyspaamars.blogspot.com/2012/01/de-giacomo-twins-from-1992.html ).
After i grew tired to those kind of characters. The 'dark and handsome' one, usually is very boring (Vegeta is one of rare exceptions), and to be honest, in my late teenage and in my early adulthood i never perceived Daniel as handsome, not even as cute (though other people find him cute). For me Daniel is just an ordinary guy, with a normal family a moody personality and a passion for heavy metal music - he dreams to be a musician -. But he's not the great talent (as opposite as aspiring musicians in comics). He's skilled just because he praticed a lot since he was 6. Since music is not an important part of my comic, i show his passion with his look: black clothes, chains and leather bracelets, and of course his long hair, accurately combed to be parted in the middle. I am a perfectionis person, so i didn't leaved Daniel without an acceptable personality, but you shouldn't except the dark and handsome. You should wait the moment when Daniel will create troubles. If i said what troubles and why, i will spoil the story and i don't want this.

1 commento: