sabato 13 luglio 2013

That's why I'm not an artist

Because 'artist' is became a label that doesn't fit with my personality.

I saw many artists being unpolite just because 'a true artist is not a hypocrite, is completely honest, and good manners don't belong to true artist'. I don't know why they absolutely need to be so unpolite to the point to look artificial and to state so often that 'they aren't hypocrite'. If they aren't hypocrite, people will see this, without the need to scream to the world tha they aren't that way. Is a problem if a creative person is well-mannered? Is a problem if a creative person wear ordinary chlotes? No

Also, artists claim to be left winged (or far left) just because of the romantic view the left wing represented... 40 years ago. Labels like 'liberal' are used out-of contest (how they can claim a drawing stile is liberal or conservative? I always called drawing style 'experimental' or 'classic'), and for those artist liberal does means good and conservative does means evil. Those artist are so open minded at the point of intolerance toward who doesn't think like them. Now hate me, liberal artist!

Artists (in the label) claim to they have duty to change the world. So they create stories and characters with the only aim to say what they think (the same things they write in their blog). So we always have one of their character (usually their favorite) with the role of being the spokesman of the author. In the story, is always found the occasion to show the wise spokesman character to tell all values of the artist. And to me it looks forced. I pay attention to avoid that some of my character may speak my mind. Some may have my values, some are different than me, but the aim of my stories is not to shove my ideals down of the throat of my readers, but to talk about experiences everybody will have. But I'm a evil conservative.

Misanthropy is also a must. Artist are the best and misunderstood good human being among the evil beasts. They are so good, superior and their fellow humans are so evil, they fell to be victim of the world, while nobody other than their (inferior) friends care about them and what they think. 
I don't hate humans, why I should? I may don't understand some things about people like 'why they don't say things directly' (and this has nothing to do with being unpolite), or more simply 'Why they aren't honest with therisleves?'
But from here to HATE humans the road is long... very long.

Modesty, misunderstood with self flagellation mixed with high horse. Many artist say that their work sucks, that they aren't good at all. They fell jealous of characters that are created by other people, and when they see an artist that is better than them, they start to cry 'I'm not worth, I suck, I'm an incompetent' et simila'.
At the same time, they claim how great their knowledges are, they criticise harsly very good artist, claiming they can't draw (one of those artists that 'can't draw' worked very well with story telling, facial expressions, dinamism, shots and perspective, at the point I called him 'genius').
Now few words about modesty, or the term itself: As modesty, I mean understanding that there is always room of improvement and we should be always ready to improve, without being jealous of who is better than us, instead we should be inspired by them. Claiming 'I suck' or 'my character sucks' is not modesty. If your character really suck, is because they have to be re-thought and re-drawn from zero.

I'm not a real artist because I try to be polite (sometimes I fail and I don't notice it if someone doesn't make me notice this).
I don't fell the need to scream to the world that 'I'm not a hypocrite'. If i'm really not a hypocrite, people will understand that without the need to claim that.
I never hide the fact that I'm right-winged conservative, pro Israel, but also pro-gay rights. Political views have nothing to do with the ability to create something. They are part of our own values and our experiences.
The duty to change the world is also meaningless. Is a big utopia that follows the words of the song 'imagine' ('70's), instead is better to be more realistic and to improve what is around us instead to wishing for a unique country, unique language, unique culture (what a sad world).
My character don't represent me and don't speak my mind. Some have total different value than me, all are imperfect (I try my best to make them imperfect) but the protagonist must have the best qualities because of his role in the story (and that's normal). And then I don't believe in misanthropy. How I can think that I'm good and the other are evil? Nobody did something bad against me (Ok, except bullies, but I don't care anymore).
Also I had the phase where i though 'my drawings sucks' ecc ecc... Looking back I think is true that my old drawings sucks, so what? Now I try to improve at drawing, and i try to get inspired from artist that are better than me and that I like (in unfortunate I don't like all artists that are better than me).

Another thing that don't make me a real artist is my approach to creation. Whatever are my choices in stories, characters or drawings, I need to think why I draw that way, why i write that thing and why my character act this way. Even if I start with a idea I like, then I need that my ideas make sense. My characters don't write the story, I write the story of my characters, and this doesn't make me a real creative person. 
I have my drawing style and there are reason behind my choices. I may post something about that later

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento